Wednesday, July 8, 2009

News

Wow, it's been forever since I've updated anything on here! I've been meaning to write for . . . what . . . 10 months!!

Where do I even start? Rather than go in chronological order, I will just start with the biggest (and Caroline's favorite) change--her little brother Lincoln.

We have a sweet, chubby, smiling and cooing baby in the house and I think I can speak for all of us in saying that we are smitten. Linc will be 8 weeks tomorrow (so hard to believe) and he's really started interacting with us more in the past couple of weeks. He has the sweetest smile (very much like Caroline's baby smile--they favor quite a bit in that area), and he's at that stage where he seems like he wants to say something, but he has to focus really hard first for like a minute . . . and then when he finally finds his voice, he gives us a huge grin and lets out one tiny little "guh" or "goo." Caroline and I hang on every word. :)

Caroline loves being a big sister. I can't believe I haven't written a single word about her anticipation of sisterhood. She prayed every single day for "the baby to grow strong and healthy." Once I could start to feel him kicking, she would ask for reports a couple of times a day. "Did you feel the baby kick this morning?" If I answered yes, she was very pleased, and if I went a little further and said the baby was kicking a lot, she was super pleased, "Wow, he must be really healthy, then, huh, Mama!"

She had big plans for her role as a big sister, telling me all the time that she would take such good care of him. She would feed him, change him, take him for walks . . . do everything. And all I would have to do was clean the house.

When she found out that babies eat a lot and even wake up at night to eat, she was a little surprised, but just went ahead and added the night shift to her job description as well. Her first reaction was, "Ooooh my goodness, I'm going to be really tired if I have to wake up to feed him at night!"

And just as promised, she has been a huge help. Her favorite thing to do lately is to hold Lincoln up on her shoulder while standing up and kind of bouncing him. She says she can calm him down that way. The other day she wanted to pick him up out of his bassinet and I said not to because it would be too hard to reach down into it and lift him out of it. She said, "I can do it. I can. I just reach down and pull him up. I can do it." I still said I would rather her not do it and she said, "Mom, listen, you just need to remember it in your brain (pointing to hers) that I am able to do it. I am. I will show you."

Well, the next morning while I was on the phone (and sufficiently distracted), Lincoln started crying and Caroline came into the master bedroom to check on him. She said, "Hey there, buddy," in her sweetest voice, reached into the bassinet, scooped him up, put him up on her shoulder (his legs hanging down almost to her knees), started bouncing him, and looked over at me with a smug big-sister smile. Now I will be sure to remember it in my brain that she can get him out of his bassinet. :)

A friend of ours is expecting a baby in November and we were talking about what it might be. Caroline said she hopes it's a baby boy because boys are cute. I think it's sweet how she's partial to them now.

***

Well, there's a start. I might even get some pictures up soon . . . we will see.

2 comments:

  1. Amber! So glad to see you are back!
    I subscribed to your RSS feed lonnng ago, and as I was scanning my blog roll for new posts, I was SO surprised--and excited--to see that you had posted again!
    I've always enjoyed "What Caroline Says," and I'm sure the entertainment will continue now that you've added a little boy (Jeff's son!!) to the mix!
    I started blogging last year myself. I remember you telling me that it was a great way for far-away family to keep up with everything Caroline was doing & saying. That's mainly my purpose too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Glad things are going so well especially with the new baby. Can't wait to see you guys next month. Maybe Caroline will let me hold Lincoln and help her take care of him a little. =) Talk to ya soon.

    ReplyDelete