Friday, November 9, 2007

The ants go marching one-by-one . . .

Before Caroline’s nap just a while ago, we were sitting on the couch cuddling, at her request. She was yakking my head off, as usual, but every once in a while she would stop talking long enough to stick her thumb in her mouth and hold her tiger for a minute. Apparently, she was in deep thought during one of these quiet moments because she popped her thumb out of her mouth and said, “How does that ant song go?”

We had just come from story time at the library where they sang “The Ants Go Marching.” I sang her the first two verses. At the end of verse one, the little ant stops to suck his thumb, and at the end of verse two, he stops to tie his shoe.

I was expecting her to ask me to sing all the rest of the verses when she said, “Why he stops and sucks him thumb?”

I said I wasn’t sure.

She looked at me with a "that dosen't make any sense" face and said, “He can suck his thumb while he’s walkin. That’s what I do.”

She decided the song should go, “The ants go marching one-by-one; the little one walks and sucks his thumb.” ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment