Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Flannel Board Fun


We had hours of fun with this today. It's our very own homemade flannel board. I think I enjoy it just as much as Caroline does. It's an instant gratification project--you think of something you want to see on the board, you cut it out of felt and slap it on--that easy.

At the library's story time the other day, they used a flannel board when they sang "Old MacDonald Had a Farm." As the kids were singing, I thought to myself, "That board is homemade. I bet I could make one . . ." After storytime was over, Caroline and I meandered over to the board to check it out. The librarian said they had books on flannel board crafts and she and another extremely helpful librarian went out of their way to help me find some materials. They even took Caroline and me back into their storage area behind the puppet stage to see their stash of flannel materials. How fun.

I came home with a couple of great craft books and some instructions from the internet, which one of the librarians had printed out for me. I don't know if I've ever been so . . . helped. It was the royal library treatment.

I already had an oversize bulletin board and I got felt and flannel from JoAnn's Crafts and Wal-Mart. Last night I stayed up after Caroline went to bed and put the flannel background on. I also made a tree and some clouds so she could wake up in the morning and find them on the board. She was so excited this morning--and that's all the invitation I needed to make lots more little felt things! I could see us adding a little to this everyday. Tonight before she went to bed, she said she wanted us to make stars tomorrow "for when it's nighttime." I have so many ideas for storyboards and scenery that I don't know what to do with myself. Ah, the excitement of being a child . . . and a child's mother. :)

3 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! Maybe we will have to copy that.

    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should--it's so easy and fun. We should swap ideas for playing "school" with the girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea of using a cork board! I am living abroad now and am having trouble finding materials and such and this is an easy idea. Curious what you used to keep the flannel background on...immediately thought of pins but of course not with little ones.....thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete